Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lupo Air bag build

Well, It was a first for me, I was asked to bag a Lupo from Mexico. It's actually a fox but re badged as a Lupo for south of the Border.
There was a lot of uncertainties when taking on this project like mainly the suspension and what would fit. I took a chance and started with Airlift's XL front and rears for a MK4. I can say I got lucky for the most part. The struts fit in to the spindle up front but quickly realized the upper mount and bearings were like a MK5 but smaller. I made up some top plates to replace the standard Airlift plates to correct the problem. The rear was much like a MK4 but a little shorter in distance. Using the Airlift rear bag and bracket it worked well, even the upper nipple didn't have to be drilled out for the crush nut like a standard MK4.
Being a smaller plate form with limited space a 3 gallon aluminum tank was used as well as a single Viair 444c compressor.
The tank started off as raw aluminum and was polished out to compliment the chrome compressor. The back area was
pretty scarce form any carpet so a black salt and pepper carpet was added to clean up the look and add some sound deadening form the compressor. A bracket was the built to hold the tank and compressor to the side off the fender well and off the floor so the spare could still be accessed.
A single 1/4 line is feed to the paddle valves and gauges up front. Using a previous DIN mount the gauges were placed in it's spot using ABS plastic for a panel. The paddle switched were the mounted in place were a cubby resided for easy access and use.
Here you can see the size difference between the two.
 New top plate
New top plate mounted
Polished out Tank
Before the install and carpet
After
Previous DIN mount
After
Paddle switches
 Before w/ cubby
Paddle switches mounted were cubby use to be.



For fun we were able to test fit some 17" Rotiforms on the car w/et 20 which was a little to aggressive. With the right wheel size and offsett this car will lay out.
I know the owner is looking into 18's as soon as his wheels sell.




As the car sits now on the customers 20"s






Monday, February 21, 2011

Accuair controller Mount-B6 Passat

Here is a preview of a build coming up in late March. The customer sent me the euro cup holder to ingrate the Accuair controller in to it .
The dual cup holder are still functional and the controller can be hidden from plan sight.
Full build coming in March.



Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Custom Foglight Grills- MK6 GTI


Here is a follow up to the custom lower grill for the MK6 GTI w/o  honeycomb.
These are the side fog light grills that also have honeycomb. They were cut and smoothed out to match the new center piece. The pic below are unfinished w/o paint and can be painted gloss black or flat black like the oe.

BEFORE



OPTION 1


OPTION 2


Monday, February 14, 2011

Chocolate-BBS RM's Coca Pearl

Just in time for Valentines day these BBS RM's were stripped down an refinished in House of Kolor Coca Pearl. 
If you have been following along on a certain Cabrio build  then you will know that these match the air tank that was painted. Look to see them on the car soon. 






Sunday, February 6, 2011

Recycled-VW MK4 GTI Sub box

A little back story, this was built 10 years ago for my own MK4 4 door golf. It was my first VW and my first fiberglass enclosure that I made. It holds a 10 ins sub and  is mounted to the side to still allow trunk space. After I sold my car 8 years ago I gave it to my cousin to use in his car. After talking with him recently he told me he still had it and I gladly accepted it back. It was updated with another layer of fiberglass and a front piece to allow the sub to be countersunk.  The old carpet was tore off and fresh new carpet was also installed. It's weird to have a piece you built 10 years ago still around and being put to use again.




Friday, February 4, 2011

Air bagging a B6 Passat Wagon

This is long overdue but this one was the first build that was documented and it was my own. This build was done back in August of 2008. The components used was the Airride technologies e2 and the supplied 5 gallon tank along with the Thomas compressors. The original set-up was based off of K/W v2 coilovers with a Universal Air bag for struts. It was replaced a year later with Mastontechs to achieve the final desired stance. Slam Specialties re-6 bag were used as well as some brackets that were cut down to gain desired height. The tank was painted with 1shot paint and a cheesecloth to gain the look of a vintage suitcase. Some water transfer decals were then reproduced and applied to the tank to give a more genuine look.